Health and Wellbeing
Fungal Nail Infections
Common Concerns and Questions asked:
Is toenail fungus genetic?
This is pretty much false, in fact in most cases inheritance is definitely not the cause. Onychomycosis (medical term) is usually a result of fungus being picked up from another source.
How do you catch a fungal nail infection?
Fungal nail infection is a result of the same fungus as athlete’s foot. Warm and moist spots are the best conditions for fungi to grow – this is also the condition in which it will likely spread from one place to another.
It is also possible that fungal nail infection is caught from being barefooted in public pools, showers or sharing items like nail clippers.
What is a fungal infection?
“Fungal skin infections are caused by certain types of fungus, or excessive growth of normally harmless types. Fungal skin infections usually affect your skin because they live off keratin, a protein that makes up your skin, hair and nails.” – Source
Do I have a fungal nail infection?
These are the symptoms:
- Discolouring of the nail
- Thickening of the nail
- Pain, discomfort or irritation
- Brittle nails
Keeping your feet healthy
Here are our best tips for keeping your feet clean and healthy:
- Check the wellbeing of your feet daily! Search your feet for cuts, blisters, swelling, sores, infected toenails or red spots. Do this every evening or morning after you have taken off your shoes.
- Keep your feet’s skin soft and smooth: we recommend using lotion or creams to maintain softness.
- Wash your feet everyday: Wash in warm, not hot water which can cause skin to dry out. Try not to soak your feet which may also result in you feet drying out. A tip to prevent infections between your toes such as athlete’s foot is to use talcum powder.
- Smooth calluses gently and regularly. If you have calluses on your feet it will be beneficial to visit your doctor and ask for advice.
- Trim your nails often – this majorly improves the cleanliness of any foot!
- Pick shoes that benefit your feet – Make sure the shoes fit your feet nicely to prevent blistering and pain. Comfortable socks also makes the difference when trying to protect and take care of your feet.
- Keeping good overall health – As for everything it helps to have overall good health to prevent any problems feet related.
Find our reviews of feet care products and read our best tips on how to maintain healthy feet on Zetaclearnow.com